You are here
Fellowships: Dissertation Year Activation
For DDU, DUF, DGE, and SROP Fellowships, the dissertation or thesis year (DYF) must be activated by the student’s seventh year of graduate study.
The graduate program is not obligated to provide funding to the student after the dissertation or thesis year if the student does not complete their dissertation or thesis and graduate at the end of the dissertation year, or if the student has received a total of six years of support.
A request for activation of the dissertation year portion of a DDU, DUF, DGE, or SROP Fellowship is made with the strong expectation that the fellow will complete all degree requirements and graduate within the dissertation year.
Requests to activate the dissertation year must be made in writing by the fellow’s Graduate Studies Committee Chair to the office of fellowship services and must confirm the student has met the following criteria:
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.60 (3.3 for SROP and DGE fellows).
- Completed the candidacy exam successfully and is within the five-year candidacy time period.
- Completed all doctoral coursework.
- Post-candidacy enrollment should be limited to departmental seminars or research hours; however, fellows may register for other degree-related courses with advisor approval. The DYF may not be used to support courses taken for another degree program.
- Received continuous departmental support during non-Graduate School fellowship years.