You are here
Back to Section 12
Functions of Graduate Faculty
Section 12.2 of the Graduate School Handbook
Only Graduate Faculty members are authorized to perform of the following functions:
- Serve as advisor for master’s degree students.
- Direct master’s theses.
- Serve as advisor for doctoral degree students.
- Direct doctoral PhD dissertations or DMA documents.
- Serve as Graduate Faculty Representative (GFR) on second candidacy examination and final oral examination committees.
- Participate in the governance of graduate education at all levels within the university.
Preclusion. A faculty member whose highest degree was awarded by this university and who is approved for graduate faculty membership at any category may not serve as an advisor for or serve on the master’s examination, candidacy examination committee, or final oral examination committee of former fellow students.