You are here
Section 15.2 of the Graduate School Handbook
Only Graduate Faculty members are authorized to perform one or more of the following functions:
- serve as advisor for master’s degree students
- direct master’s theses
- serve as advisor for doctoral degree students
- direct doctoral dissertations or D.M.A. documents
- serve as Graduate Faculty Representative on candidacy examination and final oral examination committees
- participate in the governance of graduate education at all levels within the university
Preclusion. A faculty member whose highest degree was awarded by this university and who is approved for Graduate Faculty membership at any category may not serve as an advisor for or serve on the master’s examination, candidacy examination committee, or final oral examination committee of former fellow students.
Graduate Faculty Representative. The Graduate Faculty Representative is a Category P Graduate Faculty member who is neither a faculty member in the student’s graduate program nor a member of the student’s candidacy examination committee or final oral examination committee. The Graduate Faculty Representative is appointed by the Graduate School to serve on all second attempts at the candidacy exam and on all final oral exams. In addition to being a full voting member of the examination committee, the Graduate Faculty Representative reports a judgment of the quality of the examination and the student’s performance to the Graduate School. If the examination is reviewed, the Graduate Faculty Representative also reports on the fairness of the conduct of the examination and its conformity to Graduate School rules to Graduate Council.