You are here

Back to Section 3

Health Insurance

Section 3.3 of the Graduate School Handbook

Students who are enrolled at the level of at least half-time status in an in-person program are required to carry health insurance as a condition of enrollment. All such students who take any classroom instruction in person, including regional campus students, are automatically enrolled in Student Health Insurance (SHI) upon registration, unless the student obtains an exemption. Late changes to a student’s course enrollment may result in an unintentional disenrollment in the Student Health Insurance Plan, especially if the changes result in a student dropping below the half-time threshold or changing to an all-distance learning mode of instruction. Please contact SHI for more information.

Dependents and Domestic Partners. Students may enroll dependent children and domestic partners into the student health insurance plans. Further information about sponsored dependent benefits is available on the Office of Human Resources website.

Mental Health and Counseling Services. The Counseling and Consultation Services (CCS) at the Office of Student Life provides individual and group mental health services, psychoeducational prevention and outreach programming to currently enrolled graduate and professional students. CCS also works with spouses/partners of students who are covered by Comprehensive Student Health Insurance.

Exemptions from SHI

Distance Students. Students enrolled in distance learning programs and/or distance learning (online) courses exclusively are automatically excluded from SHI. Distance learning students may petition for enrollment in SHI.

Less Than Half-Time Status. Students who enroll for less than half-time status in either classroom or distance-learning courses or a combination of both are automatically excluded from SHI. Students with less than half-time status may petition for enrollment in SHI.

Other Health Insurance Plans. All domestic students who have coverage through a non-university health insurance plan and who want to waive SHI must either list the alternative policy information at the time of registration for courses, or complete the petition to waive at the SHI website. (See Section 10 for information about health benefits for students with fellowships).

International students who are fully financially sponsored by a government sponsor, or students who are covered as a U.S.-based employee under U.S.-based insurance, or as a dependent of a U.S.-based employee must complete an International Student Health Insurance Waiver form by the published deadline. The waiver form and more information about exceptions for international students can be found on the Student Health Insurance website.

Exchange Students. Ohio State graduate students may participate in a student exchange program with an institution in another country. These programs are typically at least a semester long and involve registration for course work as well as extended stay at the host institution. The graduate tuition and fees and stipend levels for these exchange students will need to be in accordance with the guidelines of the individual exchange programs. Ohio State exchange students who are not concurrently enrolled at Ohio State (while at the host institution), need to only purchase the comprehensive supplemental medical and security insurance policy. Ohio State exchange students who enroll at Ohio State during the exchange program are required to purchase the SHI. Exchange students from another institution who enroll at Ohio State during the Exchange program are required to purchase SHI unless they are covered by government sponsorship, or by a US-based company with US-based insurance.