You are here
Back to Section 7
Summary of PhD Degree Graduation Requirements
Section 7.13 of the Graduate School Handbook
- satisfactory completion of the candidacy examination and submission of the approved Report on Candidacy Examination.
- registration for at least three graduate credit hours during the autumn or spring semester or summer term when the candidacy and final oral examinations are taken and during the autumn or spring semester or summer term in which graduation is expected.
- submission of the Application to Graduate form to GRADFORMS no later than the third Friday of the autumn or spring semester (or third Friday of summer term) in which graduation is expected.
- completion of a minimum of 80 graduate credit hours, at least 50 of which must be completed beyond the master’s degree. For a master’s degree earned at another institution to count toward the 80 hours, it must be officially transferred. Of the 50 post-master’s hours, at least 24 graduate hours must be taken at this university.
- Grade-point average of at least 3.0 in the current graduate program.
- approval of dissertation draft by the dissertation committee members and submission of the Application for Final Examination and the dissertation draft to the Graduate School at least two weeks before the date of the final oral examination.
- satisfactory completion of the final oral examination and verification that the Report on Final Examination form has been approved (via GRADFORMS) by the published deadline.
- electronic submission of the approved dissertation and a separate 500-word or less abstract by the published deadline for the semester or summer session of graduation.
- committee approval of the Report on Final Document and completion of Survey of Earned Doctorates after electronic submission and acceptance of dissertation by the published deadline for the autumn or spring semester or summer term of graduation.
- completion of PhD degree requirements within five years after being admitted to candidacy.
- receipt of final grades in the University Registrar’s Office by the published deadline.
- completion of PhD degree requirements established by the Graduate Studies Committee.